Saturday, May 17, 2008

Why can't we do that: What I think we can take from the Denver Art Museum (Katy Blanchard)



This year's AAM took us to Denver; and a free afternoon was spent discussing modern art with Maureen. We noticed a lot of interesting things that while might not fit into our own museum, I think the ideas can get transformed for our space.




Their use of large scale photo murals, to me, really helped delineate space. I returned to find that it was done really well in Penn in the
World, and here you see it done to differentiate
the different North American Tribes in one large space.







Here you see a listening station. You can hear a variety of poetry, stories, and songs in several Native American languages;
your choices are outlined on the angled "menu" and you can follow along in the binders.








And my favorite, was a children's interactive program.
Throughout the entire museum were spaces just for children: In the African section, there was nook between case units, and a small video installation with cushion on the floor. In the Oceanian section, you could make your own sculpture. It was simple, yet obviously, I got on the ground to organize some magnets. I call it Untitled (Memorial to a Fallen Prince) But how simple an introduction to a gallery.






Sure, the DAM has enough money to hire Libeskind to create their new wing, but it was the simple points that I think we can try to use in existing galleries, before we ever redo one. Or before we add a giant Oldenburg trowel out front.

No comments: